Indian Classical Music

 Years of preparation had led up to this moment. I was receiving my diploma in Indian classical music after ten years of music class. As I walked off the stage after singing, I reflected back to my musical journey. 


I had been an excited 6-year old when I first started singing and piano class. Indian classical music was something I grew up with and it  played an important role in my life. It was through this activity that I connected with Indian culture even though I wasn’t fluent in Indian languages. From the songs and the music, I learned about different components of India: culture, music, values and religion. I had grown up with the people in my classes as well as my teacher, who I formed a strong bond with. We performed at different Indian community events and the temple, allowing me to get more involved in Indian community youth events. From helping my dad at the temple set up decorations to serving food at events, I uncovered more layers of Indian culture. 


When I started attending music class, I was among the youngest. I looked up to the older students as I aspired to improve to become as skilled as them. Now, ten years later, I am among the oldest students who try to set a good example for the younger children and encourage them to pursue this activity because it has given me more than just the ability to play piano and sing. It has kept me in touch with my roots and taught me values such as perseverance and determination that allowed me to produce satisfying results . And even though there was a language barrier between me and my family in India, I connected with them because music is a universal, emotional language understood by everyone. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Pictures

Maus

A Day to Remember