My Name

 My name, Shreya, means “auspicious” and is also another name for the Hindu goddess, Lakshmi. I have always loved my name because it is fairly easy to pronounce. The only mispronunciation of my name I have ever heard was Shriya instead of Shreya, which is honestly close enough. 

However, one thing I don’t like as much about my name is how common it is! I have many friends named Shreya and we always joke about how it is funny we call our own name out to each other. In fact, I have a neighbor named Shreya and our other friend refers to us as “The Shreyas”. In addition, I have been classmates with more than one person named “Shreya” which can lead to some very confusing times. My classmate Shreya and I were talking about how whenever someone calls out the name, “Shreya”, we both assume it is for the other one and just don’t respond. Another time, our teacher told us all to write our names down on a little piece of paper so that she could draw one name for an activity. Both my classmate Shreya and I decided to have some fun and just included our first names on the paper. But for some reason when the teacher drew our name, she just made me do the activity even though that paper could have very well been the other Shreya. 

I have approached my parents many times to ask why they named such a common name. They responded by saying that they wanted a unique name and around the time I was born, “Shreya” was not a very popular name. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Pictures

Maus

A Day to Remember